How to OutRun Your Genes

Set your goals, make the journey fun and pat yourself on the back from time to time.   Remember, physical activity is for life.

Are your genes working against you? Well, then, here’s the simple trick to outrunning an overweight gene: movement. In a study of people genetically predisposed to obesity, those who were the most active managed to seriously alter their body’s predisposition to gain weight. They were far less likely to pack on pounds over time compared with the least active in the study.

Researchers recently found 12 genes that increase the risk of obesity and every obesity gene people had correlated to extra weight gain. However, although certain genes made them more susceptible to obesity, participants were not slaves to their DNA. Exercising about an hour a day dropped the risk of weight gain about 40 percent, compared with the couch potatoes.

You may have the cards stacked against you when it comes to family health history, but nothing is certain. Only about 30 percent of aging is determined by genetic factors. The other 70 percent you control through your own behaviors.


It’s a new season and a new beginning!

If it’s been a while since you’ve worked out in the Club, schedule a FREE reprogram appointment with a certified trainer or check out the latest Fall Group Exercise Schedule. 

There’s something for every age, stage and ability.  Last, ask Membership for FREE BUDDY PASSES to bring local friends or family.

All three are a great ways to FIRE UP this FALL!

Skip to content